Monday 6 October 2008

Welcome to my blog!

Hi everyone!  So I never thought that I would be the kind of person that would write a blog, but I would like to keep track of my life here and I thought I would share it with everyone else too.  For those of you who don't know the story, I am living in Colmar, France and teaching English to high school and middle school French students in Munster, France.  My official job title is "English assistant" and I am working for the French government.  The region I am living in is called Alsace, which is very close to Germany and Switzerland.  I arrived here a week ago and I have been blown away at how nice everyone here is!  All of the teachers at my school have gone out of their way to make sure I am comfortable here.  Currently, I have not found an apartment yet.  I have decided to live in the city of Colmar because it is a "big city" compared to Munster (which has 5000 habitants!).  So I have looked at a few places so far but nothing good has come along.  For now I am living with one of the English teachers at my school, Marie-Agnès, and her husband.  They live in the town of Turckheim which is outside of Colmar(I know it's confusing!)
 
Marie-Agnès and her husband are the same age as my parents, and both of their children are grown and moved out.  They basically treat me like I am their daughter!  They have even offered for me to stay here for the whole year, but I haven't decided what to do yet.  Yesterday they took me hiking in the Vosges mountains, which is about 30 minutes away from the house.  It was really windy, but it was worth the climb!  It was so cold up there that it was snowing, but the view was beautiful.  You can see the Black Forest in Germany from up that high.   Here are some pictures that I have taken so far. 

Turckheim (my current home)

Colmar (my future home)
Cows in the Vosges wear cowbells!
"La petite Venise" (little Venice) in Colmar

Well I will keep everyone updated on what else is happening here!  Thanks for reading :)



 

3 comments:

heidiandchuck said...

HI Bethanne!
we enjoyed your blog, and keep up the good work-out regamine. never a dull moment for you. After a few months in colmar and living above a bakery you'll probably want to hit the bike and hiking trail with you host family. we're proud of you and look forward to comming back to france for another visit.

Anonymous said...

Bath,
Your so cultured...First France and now blogging...I just hope you will still be the same person when you come home. Everything looks gorgeous!! I hope your having a wonderful time!!

Jen

MattyDoc said...

K, so ONE I love your blog, you have a great sense of wonder and flow in it. 2, I am ready to go back to Europe. Just reading your blog and you actually going to places i was, makes me want to come visit you. ANd 3. I swear to god we have identical pictures. I have some of the very same photo's you have from Colmar, the Alp's, and Zurick. Enjoy the rest of your time over there (if you haven't already come back).