Tuesday 14 April 2009

Joyeuse Pâques

For Easter weekend I went to Aix-en-Provence.  Unfortunately the Easter bunny didn't find me there because I woke up without an Easter basket.  Maybe next year.  First of all the trip was ridic.. remind me not to travel on holiday weekends here anymore.  When I got on the train to go there, there was a girl sitting in my seat.  She apparently mixed up the car numbers, so me, being such a nice person, offered to take her seat since she was already settled in.  Well no good deed goes unpunished.  Long story short, I ended up sitting next to a French couple, and the girl was sitting on the guys lap and they were making out for like 2 hours.  Cute.  and not awkward for me or anything.  Then there was a bomb threat on the train line, so we had an hour delay.  Damn you terrorists! 

Once I got to Aix, I met up with my friend Katie, who I was staying with.  We lived in Avignon together and she is doing the assistantship this year too.  We went out to a traditional Provençal dinner and I met all of her friends.  They were all so nice!  That night we went out, and I was amazed at how many young people live there, and Americans too.  In Colmar you don't see people in the streets outside of bars, so this was a very exciting experience for me.    

On Saturday we walked around the town since I haven't been there in a few years.  It was funny to see the places I had been there.. I even remembered the restaurant that I ate at with my Mom, Ernie, Charlie, Matt and Shannon a few years ago.  We went shopping a little bit, walked through the flower markets, and most importantly, she took me to the genuine mexican-american burrito restaurant.  We don't get burritos in Alsace.  After that we went to her friends place who was having a cooking party, and I continued to eat the entire day.  That night we went out again with some of her friends.  

Easter Sunday we had the ultimate French experience : a Marseille soccer game.  Marseille is known for having crazy fans, and their team is really good.  So we went with some of Katie's friends and her roommates to experience it for ourselves.  Unfortunately the weather wasn't great, but the game was interesting anyways.  They won against Grenoble 4-1.  The fans were going crazyy.. they have these chants that each side of the stadium do back and forth to each other.  We definitely picked a good game to go to! 

Well I think that's all for now.  One thing I definitely realized during this weekend is that I am so happy I chose to live in the North.  I don't think I could handle the southern way of life!  I definitely prefer the people, the architecture, the climate, the cleanliness, etc., up here better. 

Creepy statue with a lady wearing a building as a hat..
Saturday Flower Markets
During the cooking party.. love the apron haha
Heading into the stadium in Marseille

This guy definitely felt really confident about his outfit.. Do you think it's maybe a little snug?





No comments: