Tuesday 15 November 2011

Oxford/Mini Cooper tour

This year I was lucky to get a Fall break, on top of the other like 3 months of vacation that I get every year.  I decided to go visit my friend that lives in England for the week since I didn't have much going on around Reims.  I booked my tickets to his town, called Bristol, and started planning the trip.  Somehow along the line I got to talking to my Dad, and he decided to come along with me!  I was going to spend most of the trip by myself, so I was thrilled to have some company!

We arrived in Bristol on Wednesday, visited the city on Thursday, and on Friday we rented a car and headed up to Oxford.  It took a little while to get adjusted to driving on the other side of the road, but my Dad did a pretty good job! I can't imagine what would have happened if I was on my own. I took one loop around the parking lot and decided this whole right side of the car thing wasn't for me. Our first stop was the Mini Cooper plant located close to Oxford city. My Dad somehow found out about this place and we decided to book it online.  Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take cameras into the plant, and I can't even describe it all! The most amazing part for me was that most of the base of the car is done entirely with German robots.  Inside the plant it almost feels like you are in the future... there are robots doing hundreds of different things, and sparks flying while the cars are all assembled.  After the robot part ended we moved onto the part that is actually done by humans!  It's interesting to see how organized the plant is, every car is finished by hand with all of the different options that it might have, whether it's special wheels or stripes on the hood.  It's amazing what the computers know and how it's all organized! I'm not going to lie after visiting this place I really want a Mini Cooper, I wonder if that is their goal? Hmm

After the Mini plant, we headed to Oxford and grabbed a pub lunch.  After that we just walked around the town, and were very lucky to have absolutely beautiful weather!  It was blue skies all day.  Oxford is a nice town, with many universities.  By the early afternoon, we were exhausted from all the walking, and headed back to Bristol!  The next morning we woke up and headed to Bath... to be continued.


Austin Powers Mini


The Bridge of Sighs

tiny door


Mini

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Dad seriously looks like a giant in white tennis shoes.