Saturday 2 April 2011

France: 1 Ba: 0

Why does it have to be so difficult to do laundry?  It's a good thing that I only teach 16 hours a week because I really don't know how I'd fit this into a busy schedule.  The first year I did my laundry at Thibaut's parents house, so that was fine.  Last year I had a washing machine so I did laundry every week and hang-dried it in my apartment.  Now, I have to use a laundry mat.  Thibaut usually brings his laundry here every other week and we do a big laundry mat trip.  I have no problem doing laundry there, but the main issue here is drying clothes.  France doesn't have "normal" dryers that we have in the States.  You know, the kind you all have in your houses and take advantage of everyday (yes, I am bitter).  The dryers here don't release the moisture to the outside like they do in the States, it just heats up the clothes, causes them to steam, and spins them around, which results in wet clothes with lint and hairballs all over them.  They claim it's because they "don't want to pollute like we do in America." Pshh. I'm not falling for it.  France is always a few steps behind in everything else : technology, movies, music, etc.  Why not with dryers? 

So, obviously I am forced to hang dry everything.  I guess it's better for my clothes since drying them can shrink or wear them quicker, but this past week I went insane.  I tried hanging most of it on these funny drying racks that I bought at Ikea, just like I've been doing for the past 6 months with no problem.  Well I guess it was too much, and as I was walking upstairs I heard the shower pole crashing down.  It took Thibaut like 10 minutes to get it back up, and I of course decided to hang "just one" on there again.  Crash.  Came down again.  So finally we hung them on some trees outside.  Also, I cannot take the time to hang every sock and pair of underwear on a drying rack.  I am way to impatient for that.  So now I just dump everything on the kitchen floor and hope that it will dry sometime soon.  Don't worry, I washed the floor the day before! 

This is kind of like a drying rack, right?

sheets go on the door

before

oops.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Oh no - how awful. There is nothing that's more of a chore than wet clothes! You need one of these: http://www.target.com/Household-Essentials-40-Retractable-Dryer/dp/B000JYFNY0/ref=sc_qi_detaillink