Friday 21 November 2008

Daytripping

Since I have a Eurail pass from Matt's friend, I have taken a few day trips along the way.  I don't work Wednesdays or Fridays, so that gives me plenty of time to go places.  The pass is good for all of Europe, as long as you are traveling by train.  The first place I went was Lucerne, Switzerland which is only a few hours away.  The only thing I really wanted to see there was the famous bridge, which you can see pics of below.  I also went to a place called "glaciergarten" which describes the changing of the glaciers in the Alps over the years.  The only part that really entertained me about the place is that there was a "labyrinth of mirrors" that I spent about an hour in.  It was the most confusing experience of my life.  You think that you are walking into another hallway and you literally walk right into a mirror.  There were little kids in there too, and it was so funny!  They would see their Mom, run to her and end up running right into a mirror.  I'd like to think I was laughing with them, but in reality, they actually were not laughing, they started crying after a few times!  Poor little guys. 
The Bridge. 
Paintings inside the Bridge 
The labyrinth

The last trip I took was to Geneva, Switzerland this past Wednesday.  It was not at all what I expected, but it was really pretty!  I love Switzerland, but it is soo expensive, I don't think I could spend more than a few days there at a time.  It was funny taking the train there, because half of Switzerland speaks German, and the other half speaks French (another part speaks Italian but I haven't been there yet).  So in France, the train announcements were in French, then they changed to German, and back to French.  It's so crazy how people here can speak so many languages.. part of me hates them for it!
  
Anyways, in Geneva, I walked around the city and the port, bought some delicious swiss chocolate, climbed the church tower and took a boat ride on Lake Geneva.  I made a nice friend, who was a 70 year old French lady from Nice.  It would be great if I could make friends my own age every once in a while, but what can I say, old people love me!  The boat was more like a yacht, and there was a 10 person minimum to go out on the lake.  There were only 4 of us, so this was a big problem.  We waited an hour, and me and this French lady hassled the captain so much that he finally took us out!  We drove around to the different residences around Geneva, and had a beautiful view of the Alps.  

My Eurail pass is finished tomorrow, so I tried to take a day trip to Paris today.  Unfortunately there were no more seats available to come back to Colmar tonight, so I had to forget about it.  I'm going to be lost without that pass!  If anyone else can hook me up with a Eurail pass for the rest of my stay, that would be great, thanks. 
The Port of Geneva
The famous "clock of flowers" sans flowers.  traveling in the winter has it's setbacks..
View from the cathedral tower 
Maggie and Morgan's Swiss cousin
Some contemporary art in the streets 







2 comments:

Shannon said...

That Maggie Dog is a bit thinner than ours...

Mimi said...

Bethanne, awesome pics! how fun... did I ever tell you that my sister studied over in Grenoble, France? love the blog!