Sunday 23 November 2008

Les Marchés de Noël

This past weekend was the beginning of the famous Christmas markets in Alsace, particularly Colmar where I live.  On Friday night I went out in Strasbourg with some other assistants.  There isn't much to do in Colmar so we decided to try to go out in Strasbourg,  it is a bigger city with more students.  Saturday we woke up to a big surprise, the first SNOW of the season!!  How appropriate for the Christmas markets!  We woke up around noon, got our lives together and headed home to Colmar to check out the markets.  There are about 4 markets in Colmar, once of which is literally right outside my front door.  The markets just have little stands that sell random items, christmas decorations, food, and most importantly, "vin chaud" or HOT WINE.  I am not a big wine drinker, but this stuff is dangerous!  It is hot wine with spices in it, and it tastes like candy.  When I got home and walked through the pastry shop that I live above, I walked by a huge vat of hot wine.  I casually asked if it was this famous "hot wine" I have been hearing about.  Of course the owners are the nicest people ever, and they proceeded to give me an enormous JUG of delicious hot wine for me and my friend for free.  Love them.  After that, we walked around, ate some sausage and sauerkraut, and just browsed through the markets.  All of the Christmas markets are soo cute, I walk around in disbelief that I actually live in this fairy tale town!  The entire town is lit up and decorated with lights, santa claus and fake snow.  After some vin chaud and a colddd day, I had some of the other assistants over and had my first official "party" here in my new apartment.  My apartment is teeeny so things were pretty cozy, but it was still good times :)   Click on the pictures if you want to see them better! 
My first glimpse of French snow 
Quick postcard shot on the walk to the train
French dogs are even allowed in the trains
Drinking hot wine out of a new coffee mug from my Mom.  Thanks Mom!
The markets 
No day in France would be complete without a STRIKE.  This time the post office is unhappy.
My apartment building above the pastry shop :)
Right around the corner from my apartment.. how do I live here??
hmm tooo much vin chaud, pretty sure my teeth are the color of my jacket at this point
"party" in my huge apartment. 

1 comment:

Shannon said...

First of all- it looks SO beautiful all lit up! Second of all, I think it is hilarious that you are drinking wine out of the coffee mug mom made. Typical Fuller antics.